Mystery in the Mirror

By Debbie

This morning Mystery got dressed all by herself, color coded and all. She came through to show me and was obviously very impressed with her look. She went and stood in front of my mirror and this was her dialogue with herself as she made her assessment:

“Perfect!”

“Self, well done!”

“Wow! Beautiful!”

It was delightful to watch. I thought, “I should learn some lessons in self talk from Mystery”.

As Mystery was looking in the mirror and commenting on what she saw, I realised that actually she was looking at herself through another reflection. She made her interpretation of herself in that mirror through what has been reflected back at her from her daddy, mommy and siblings. Her family are always giving her feedback about how beautiful, pretty, special and cute she is. When she was looking in that mirror, she was seeing herself how we see her. We are her reference point and she has accepted our definition of beauty. And according to that reference point, beauty was looking back at her in that mirror, before her was a person who was beautiful and valuable.

I have no doubt that there are those in our world that would not classify Mystery as beautiful. Quite the contrary actually. They think she is not beautiful, not valuable. As a result many are quite happy to snuff such life out before it’s even born. I hope she never believes them because she IS beautiful!

The saying goes, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Who defines beauty and value for you? When you look in the mirror, whose OPINION is reflected back at you?

Genesis 1:26, 31
“Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness… God saw all that he had made, and it was VERY GOOD.”

Advertisements

7 Comments Add yours

1. julie sweeney says:

Love this, beautiful!

1. colleen kruger says:

Love it Debbie. Awesome, when truth is released by by our little ones! Go Mystery. MORE

2. Mary says:

So, so very true! And she really is perfect and beautiful.

3. Philisiwe Mkhize says:

Wow ❤ I am melted… It's important to see ourselves as God/ whole of Heaven sees us !!!

1. Conny Oberheinrich says:

Thank you Debbie for sharing this! You Desmonds are all in all a beautiful family and I am glad to know you! I am missing you and sending you lots and lots of love from Salzburg/Austria! Conny

4. Beautiful Debbie! Look forward to meeting Mystery xx

5. liznregis says:

Beautiful! I think I need new glasses sometimes when I look in the mirror, but I’m learning to see myself as my Papa sees me : beautiful! Sometimes I think to myself, is it OK to think I’m beautiful? For so many years I had the opposite mindset, and now I’m free of that! Yay!